- 3D Chloropleth Map of Crime Counts by Police Beats in Chicago, 2013
- Visualization of Mt. Rainier, Seattle
- Groundwater Depths in Three Counties in Nevada
Open Data Chicago
Chicago: Official Police Maps (CLEARMAP)
National Map Viewer
Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology
When viewing the maps, if a black box appears instead of a basemap, try refreshing/reloading your browser and the basemap should display properly.
3D Chloropleth Map: Here is a trick to create a 3D chloropleth map on a flat surface. The plugin won't run without a digital elevation model (or DEM) raster, but you can 'trick' it into using a flat raster.
- Updated(12/9/2015): The plugin now allows users to select a flat surface/no DEM used
Take the raster calculator and exponentiate/raise all cell values to the power of 0 (rastervariable^0). The resulting raster will be flat with a value of 1. Alternatively, multiply by zero. (You may also have to symbolize null values as well.)
- Classify and symbolize the polygons using your desired color scheme--before using the plugin
- In addition, I changed the color of the raster file in QGIS to match the background in the *.html file (#ccccff).
- I added HTML code for a basic legend using frames (90% for the map, 10% for the legend)
|Basic HTML code sourcing the two frames. The "Chicago" frame was generated from QGIS.|
The "Legend" frame was a simple piece of code directed to a JPG of the Legend.
|Screenshot of the final map and legend.|
|Left: Google Earth, Right: Plugin result using files from USGS|
|If your depths are positive values, select a negative multiplier in the plugin.|
|An overhead and underground view of the map. |
The orange boundary represents three counties of interest.